RPZ Approved Valve Tester Scheme
The RPZ Approved Valve Tester Scheme has been specifically designed to cover testing and commissioning work carried out on Type BA Backflow Devices (RPZ Valve). RPZ testers are recognised for their competency in undertaking a limited scope of work which complies with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 (England and Wales), The Water Supply (Water Fittings) (Scotland) Byelaws 2014 and The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2009. There are no formal plumbing qualifications to gain approval status other than to sit the industry-recognised, RPZ tester assessment.
Any person testing/commissioning Type BA Backflow Devices (RPZ Valve) should be fully aware of the industry recognised Water Undertakers’ Approved Installation Method (AIM) that can be found here.
Although the scheme is not an approved contractor scheme and not approved by WaterSafe - it is, however, recognised by the water authorities in the UK.
What Do I Need to Do to Become a Member?
To become an RPZ tester the individual needs to:
- Hold an approved RPZ valve tester qualification which has been recognised by the scheme and endorsed by the UK water undertakers for the purpose of the AIM. Courses are currently being run by Develop Training, Click here for further information.
- Provide evidence of having a current UKAS calibration certificate for testing equipment which should be provided to the scheme on an annual basis, as well as photographic evidence of the calibration kit. (Calibration tests should be carried out by current UKAS accredited centres and their UKAS number provided to the scheme when submitting the UKAS Accredited test certificate).
- Submit commissioning certificates to the water undertaker within 10 days of the test being conducted.
What Does the Business Require?
The business requires to hold appropriate insurances and Public Liability Insurance of at least £2m and appropriate Employers' Liability Insurance, where necessary.
What Are the Benefits of Joining?
- Customers have the re-assurance that the work undertaken is being carried out by individuals who hold the relevant qualification to do so.
- Your business is backed by the water companies in the UK.
- Your business is promoted on the Water Support Services section of the WaterSafe website.
How do I Join?
- To apply for membership of the RPZ valve tester scheme, please download the application form by clicking here.
- To download the Scheme’s terms and conditions, please click here.
- If you require any further information, contact the Schemes department on 0131 357 2440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.